Your teeth are one of the most important features which should be kept healthy and beautiful. To maintain it, you need to have a regular oral check-up just like body check-ups. These checkups may involve cleaning of teeth, removal of a cavity, fixing of a broken tooth, teeth whitening etc. Researchers have shown that problems related to the teeth and gums can be an indication of some major health issues in the body which is why regular check-ups are important.
If you live in West Columbia or nearby region you will be glad to know that that Dr Sherry Powell is an expert dentist in West Columbia SC. You should have a checkup every 6-months to treat any problems related to your teeth.
Need of oral Checkups
Food causes the building of plaque resulting in gum disease. It also gets stuck between your teeth and can cause tooth decay or other diseases. Brushing your teeth, the front of your teeth and the back of them, every twelve hours will help you in getting rid of that day’s plaque. It takes twelve hours for plaque to form. Flossing is very important as it gets rid of the food between your teeth and prevents cavities and gum disease.
The maintenance of oral health is the most important job of Dr Sherry Powell dentist West Columbia sc. Dentists work hard to make sure you have healthy teeth. Apart from the basic general dentistry treatments that are done regularly the dental department involves some specializations too. Regular treatments involve filling of a tooth, extraction of the tooth which may involve a minor surgery, polishing and cleaning the teeth. As your dentist, we try to encourage our patients and make them aware of good dental care. Your teeth can be taken care of by brushing and flossing and getting regular cleaning. This would result in preventing decay of tooth and cavities to take over. It also saves you from tooth and gum diseases.
Some Specific Dentist Specialties
Some specific specialties of dentistry which may require advanced training and expertise in the particular area. Some of them are as follows:
- Endodontics – This treatment specializes in treating the internal tissues or the pulp of a tooth. It mostly comprises of nerves and blood vessels. Root canal treatment and other procedures and examination of the inner truth are performed by an endodontist.
- Orthodontics- This is a treatment done for straightening and aligning the teeth and jaw. If one has misaligned teeth, an orthodontist would treat the disorder by fixing braces. Issues with bone in an under the mouth area I also treated by an orthodontist.
- Periodontics– This is the department where the dentist deals with the issues of gums and other tissues. A periodontist would try to treat anything related to gum diseases and other gum ailments.
- Prosthodontics – Cosmetic dentistry falls under this specialization which mainly deals with the appearance of the tooth, helping in teeth whitening. A prosthodontist replaces, implants, and fits teeth and deals with other prosthetics of the mouth.
- Paediatric Dentist– As the name suggests these dentists specialize in fitting all the teeth problems faced by children.
Be careful and cautious about your oral care and visit your dentist on a regular basis to keep your teeth healthy.